The Center for Crossover Education was reactivated in April 2019 as an affiliated facility that implements a variety of new initiatives related to science and technology-based practical education. The reactivation of previously existing center, was done by reorganizing the affiliated manufacturing creation engineering center. The center is responsible for the development of new methods for science and technology education, internationalization of education and teaching duties, and consists of the following three divisions devoted to the improvement of the quality of education for both students and teachers:
1) Education Methods Development Division
• In charge of developing educational methods such as Project Based Learning (PBL) and Active Learning. We will develop and practice classes that integrate, or cross, specialized fields, instead of PBL education and active learning, such as Creative Studio Training, which have been tackled separately in each course so far. In addition, we will create a new curriculum for educational methods in cooperation with local companies, including internships.
2) Globalization Division
• Responsible for promoting study abroad and accepting foreign students. Studying abroad and living in another country is the ultimate hands-on experience and learning practice. With a vision of future internationalization of Akita, we will handle the dispatch and acceptance of foreign students at the Faculty of Engineering Science. We will offer consultation to students who want to study abroad. Furthermore, the number of lectures with English as a medium of instruction at Akita University is expected to increase due to the growth of foreign student enrollment. We will develop innovative lectures in English together with foreign English teachers so that each instructor can provide high quality English lectures.
3) Teacher profession-related Division
• Responsibilities will relate to obtaining a teacher license. Until now, there was no place in the Faculty of Engineering Science to handle teaching positions. In the future, the center will be the contact point for students who wish to acquire a teacher’s license and aim for a junior high school teacher position. Interested students are always welcomed to come here for consultation.
Below is an example of how each department works at our center. We will continue to carry out student voluntary projects and children’s manufacturing classes that we have been working on at the Creative Engineering Center for Progress. The Center for Crossover Education aims to be a center familiar to students, teachers and everyone in the Faculty of Engineering Science.